Wild West in a Skillet
- 1 (14 ounce) package Smoked Sausage, diagonally cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, 1/2-inch dice
- 1 green bell pepper, 1/2-inch dice
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes (with or without chilies)
- 1 (14 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 3 cups shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
- 1 (8.5 ounce) package dry corn muffin mix, batter prepared as directed on the box
- 1 Tablespoon of pickled diced jalapeno or to taste
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Heat a 10-inch oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat and add smoked sausage, cook until browned. Add garlic, onion and bell pepper and cook until vegetables are soft, about 6 minutes.
Stir in chili powder, cumin, salt, tomatoes with their juice and beans. Cook for 3 – 5 minutes, until mixture starts to bubble. Turn off heat and stir in 2 Cups of cheese.
Mix jalapeno into the prepared corn muffin mix add the last cup of cheese. Spread corn muffin batter over the mixture and bake until golden brown and cooked through, 20 – 25 minutes.