Here in the South we love our cornbread. Here is a savory version of deliciousness that will make a great side to any savory dish…soups, stews or chili. I hope you enjoy.
Savory Sausage And Cheese Cornbread
- 1 Tablespoon Canola Oil
- 1 Pound Sage Or Mild Sausage
- 1/4 Cup Chicken Broth
- 8 Eggs Beaten
- 1 (8 Ounce) Mild Jar Salsa, Or To Taste
- 2 (8.5 Ounce) Packages Dry Corn Muffin Mix
- 2 Cups Cream
- 3 Cups Shredded Mexican Cheese Blend
- 1 Cup Jalapeno Diced Pickled Peppers Optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat; cook and stir Sausage until browned and crumbly, 5 to 10 minutes. Drain excess fat. Stir chicken broth into sausage; cook and stir until liquid reduces and thickens, 3 to 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl combine beaten eggs, and cream. Add salsa, 2 cups of cheese and sausage mixture, stir well. Add Jalapenos if desired.
- Transfer mixture to a greased 9×13 -baking dish.
- Bake in foil tented pan in the preheated oven for 50 minutes. Remove foil tent to brown until a toothpick inserted into the center of the casserole comes out clean, 55 to 65 minutes. Spread Mexican cheese blend over the top of the casserole and bake until cheese melts, about another 5 minutes.
- Serve with soup beans, or use instead of dinner rolls.