Mediterranean Chicken with Artichokes
- 12 (4 ounce) bone-in chicken thighs with skin
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon herbes de Provence
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 (14 ounce) cans artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 1 cup pitted kalamata olives
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh marjoram
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Place chicken thighs in a large bowl; season with black pepper, cumin, and 1 teaspoon salt. Set aside.
Heat olive oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Place chicken thighs, skin-side down, in pan and brown, about 5 minutes. Turn chicken over and brown other side, about 1 minute. Remove chicken from pan.
Cook onion in the Dutch oven with salt over medium-high heat; cook and stir until caramelized, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium; stir in garlic, herbes de Provence, and crushed red pepper.
Place chicken, skin-side up, in a single layer on top of the onions in Dutch oven. Pour stock into the pan until almost covering the chicken.
Sprinkle artichoke hearts, olives, over top of chicken.
Return to medium-high heat and bring to a simmer.
Cover and roast in preheated oven until chicken is cooked through and liquid is bubbling, about 1 hour.
Garnish with chopped basil, oregano, and marjoram. Serve with rice pilaf and garlic bread.