- 6 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 1/2 Cup Cider Vinegar
- 1/4 Cup Vegetable Oil
- 2 Teaspoons Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Tamarind Concentrate
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Garam Masala
- 1 Onion, Chopped
- 8 Cloves Garlic, Peeled
- 1/3 Cup Sliced Fresh Ginger
- 1 Cup Cherry Tomatoes
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Cayenne Pepper
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Paprika
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Mustard
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 3 Tablespoons Ghee (clarified Butter)
- 1 Large Onion, Chopped
- Salt And Ground Black Pepper To Taste
- 4 Teaspoons Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Cilantro, For Garnish (optional)
- Place chicken in a large resealable plastic bag. Whisk together cider vinegar, oil, salt, tamarind concentrate, and garam masala in a bowl, and pour into the bag. Squeeze out excess air and seal the bag. Marinate in the refrigerator for 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat an oven to 375 degrees. Grease a foil-lined baking sheet.
- Remove marinated chicken and place on the prepared baking sheet. Season all sides with salt. Roast in the preheated oven until well-browned, 15 to 20 minutes. Reserve marinade in the bag.
- Combine 1 onion, garlic, ginger, cherry tomatoes, and water in a blender and pulse on and off until smooth. Set aside.
- Combine cayenne pepper, paprika, cinnamon, cumin, dried mustard, and black pepper in a small bowl.
- Melt clarified butter in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Cook and stir 1 onion until softened and well-browned, about 30 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and pour in cayenne pepper mixture. Cook and stir until spices are aromatic, about 2 minutes.
- Pour marinade from the bag into the stockpot, and stir in tomato-onion mixture and brown sugar. Bring mixture to a simmer. Place chicken in the pan and reduce heat to low. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until meat is tender and easily pierced with a fork, 2 to 3 hours.
- Remove lamb from the pot and cover with foil. Increase heat and simmer the sauce for a few minutes, skimming the fat from the top. Taste and add salt if needed. Serve lamb shanks with sauce spooned over the top. Garnish with cilantro.