Beef and Quinoa Soup
- 4 Thick Slices Beef Shank
- Kosher Salt And Ground Black Pepper To Taste
- 1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 1 Large Onion, Diced
- 4 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 2 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 4 Cups Beef Stock, Or More As Needed
- 2/3 Cup Diced Celery
- 2/3 Cup Diced Carrots
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1/4 Teaspoon Dried Rosemary
- 1/2 Cup Quinoa Cooked To Package Directions
- 1 Tablespoon Chopped Fresh Parsley, Or To Taste
- Season beef all over with kosher salt and black pepper.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large pot over high heat. Cook beef in hot oil until browned on both sides, about 10 minutes. Transfer beef to a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium, and stir onion into the same pot with a pinch of salt. Cook and stir until onion is soft and translucent, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir garlic into onion; cook and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir tomato paste into onion mixture; cook and stir until tomato paste is brick red, 2 to 3 minutes. Pour broth into onion mixture. Add celery, carrots, bay leaf, and rosemary. Return beef with any accumulated juices to pot; push beef down to cover with cooking liquid.
- Bring broth mixture to a simmer, reduce heat to low, cover the pot, and cook until beef is fork-tender, 2 to 3 hours.
- Pour cooked Quinoa into cooking liquid, bring to a simmer, about 20 minutes. Season with salt. Ladle stew into bowls and garnish with parsley.