- 1 Pound Skinless, Boneless Chicken Thighs, Quartered
- 1/2 Yellow Onion, Grated
- 4 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1 Teaspoon Fine Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 3/4 Cup Cornstarch
- 1/2 Cup Self-Rising Flour
- 1 Teaspoon White Sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Cup Very Cold Water, Or As Needed
- Oil, Or As Needed
- Stir chicken, onion, garlic, fine salt, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper together in a bowl until chicken is coated. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate, 4 hours to overnight.
- Heat oil in a deep-fryer or large saucepan to 340 degrees F (171 degrees C).
- Whisk cornstarch, flour, sugar, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon salt together in a large bowl. Gradually whisk ice water into flour in until mixture resembles a smooth pancake batter. Transfer chicken to batter and stir to coat chicken completely.
- Working in batches, cook chicken in preheated oil for 4 minutes. Transfer cooked chicken to a cooling rack.
- Increase oil temperature in the deep-fryer or large saucepan to 375 degrees F.
- Working in batches, cook chicken again in hot oil until golden brown and crispy on the outside, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to drain.
- 1/4 Cup White Rice Vinegar
- 1/4 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 Teaspoons Vegetable Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Sesame Seeds Toasted
- 1 Cucumber, Thinly Sliced
- 1 Green Onion, Sliced
- 1/2 Carrot, Julienne
- In a medium bowl, stir together vinegar, black pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir in sesame seeds, and reduce heat to medium. Cook until seeds are brown, about 5 minutes. Remove seeds with a slotted spoon, and stir into vinegar mixture. Mix in cucumber, green onions, and carrot. Cover, and refrigerate at least 5 minutes. Serves 2