Sauerkraut and Bratwurst
- 1/8 Teaspoon Celery Seeds
- 1/8 Teaspoon Caraway Seeds
- 1 Pound Fresh Bratwurst or Cheddar Brats Sausages
- 1/4 Cup White Vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Light Brown Sugar
- 2 Teaspoons Dry Mustard Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1/8 Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 1/8 Teaspoon Dried Dill Weed
- 1 Pound Sauerkraut (preferably Barrel-Aged), Drained
- Crush celery seeds and caraway seeds in a mortar and pestle until ground; set aside.
- Place bratwursts into a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Mix beer, brown sugar, dry mustard, onion powder, black pepper, dill weed, and crushed celery and caraway seeds in a bowl, stirring to dissolve brown sugar; pour over the brats. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Uncover and raise heat to medium; boil the sauce until it reduces to a thick, syrupy liquid, about 20 minutes. Tilt skillet to roll brats in the sticky sauce until thoroughly coated. Transfer sausage to a platter and keep warm. Cook and stir sauerkraut in the same skillet to mix in any leftover sauce, 5 to 8 minutes. Transfer sauerkraut to a serving platter and top with cooked bratwurst.
- Serve with potato salad and Texas Toast