Orange Herb Roasted Chicken
- 1 Cup Chicken Broth
- 1 (4 Pound) Whole Chicken, Rinsed And Patted Dry
- 1/2 Cup Butter, Cut Into 1 Tablespoon Sized Pieces
- 2 Navel Oranges, Halved
- Salt And Pepper To Taste
- 4 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1/2 Cup Butter, Melted
- 2 Sprigs Fresh Rosemary
- 2 Sprigs Fresh Thyme
- 2 Sprigs Fresh Sage
- 2 Bunch Flat Leaf Parsley Chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Pour the chicken broth into a small roasting pan, and set aside.
- Loosen the skin from the breasts and thighs of the chicken. Stuff the butter pieces evenly underneath the skin of the chicken, and place into the roasting pan. Squeeze the orange halves over the chicken, and stuff the orange halves into the chicken cavity. Tie the legs together with kitchen twine. Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper to taste, then rub in the minced garlic. Drizzle the melted butter all over the chicken, then half the herbs and stuff half in cavity and lay the rest of herb sprigs onto the breast and around the legs.
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil, and bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes. Uncover and baste the chicken with the pan juices. Continue cooking until the chicken is no longer pink, or until a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh reads 165 degrees F, 1 to 2 hours. Baste the chicken every 10 to 15 minutes after you uncover it. Once cooked, allow the chicken to rest out of the oven for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Serve with cauliflower mash potatoes and Swiss chard. With Southern Peach Cobbler for dessert Below…..
Southern Peach Cobbler….
- 8 Fresh Peaches – Peeled, Pitted And Sliced Into Thin Wedges
- 1/4 Cup White Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/8 Teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- 1 Teaspoon Fresh Lemon Juice
- 2 Teaspoons Cornstarch
- 1 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 Cup White Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 6 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter, Chilled And Cut Into Small Pieces
- 1/4 Cup Boiling Water
- Mix Together:
- 3 Tablespoons White Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine peaches, 1/4 cup white sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon juice, and cornstarch. Toss to coat evenly, and pour into a 2 quart baking dish. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine flour, 1/4 cup white sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, baking powder, and salt. Blend in butter with your fingertips, or a pastry blender, until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in water until just combined.
- Remove peaches from oven, and drop spoonfuls of topping over them. Sprinkle entire cobbler with the sugar and cinnamon mixture. Bake until topping is golden, about 30 minutes.