- 4 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 1 (5 Pound) Beef Chuck Roast
- 1 Lg. Red Onion, Chopped
- 6 Cloves Garlic, Crushed
- 4 Stalks Celery, Chopped
- 2 Tablespoon Dried Basil
- 1 Pkg Dry French Onion Soup Mix
- 1 Pkg Dry Italian Dressing Mix
- 1/2 Cup Worcestershire
- Salt And Pepper To Taste
- 2 Bags Of Fingerling Potatoes
- 4 Parsnips, Peeled And Cut Into Chunks
- 8 Carrots, Peeled And Cut Into Chunks
- Heat the oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Place the roast in the pot, and quickly brown on all sides.
- Fill the pot with enough water to cover the roast. Add the onion, garlic, celery, basil, Worcestershire, Dry soup and dressing mix, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 2 hours and 15 minutes, adding water if needed to keep the roast covered. Add potatoes and parsnips; simmer for an additional 15 minutes. Add carrots; simmer for 30 minutes, or until roast can be pulled apart with a fork. Taste, and adjust salt and pepper if needed before serving. Serves 6-8.
- Serve with garden salad and crusty bread.