So, after my thought for the day today, I got hungry and decided we should be posting recipes with our thoughtful diatribe of wisdom as well. Today let’s look to the holidays for a great side dish suggestion.
- 1 acorn squash – cut in half lengthwise, seeded and cut into 12 wedges
- 1 large fennel bulb – trimmed, cored and cut into 8 pieces
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (6 ounce) box UNCLE BEN’S® Basmati Medley Savory Herb
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or non-stick foil.
- Remove the skin from the squash with a vegetable peeler (if desired). Cut each wedge in half and place in a large bowl along with the fennel pieces.
- Whisk the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, rosemary, salt, and pepper together in a small bowl. Drizzle mixture over the squash and fennel; toss to coat. Transfer squash and fennel mixture onto the prepared baking sheet and spread out to form a single layer.
- Roast until squash is tender, about 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the rice as directed on the box. Mix the roasted squash and fennel with the rice. Transfer to a greased casserole dish. Top with the chopped parsley and keep warm until served.